Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Faith Conquering Feeling

Faith Conquering Feeling
2Co 5:7  (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) 

     The man who does not have feelings is the man who does not exist.  As sure as we are, we feel.  How marvelous the feeling of ascending crescendos in our very soul.  Yet, however high the happy heart, devastating is its valley.  The emotional man is the normal man; yet the emotional man is not the stable man.  Behold the text, we walk by faith, not by sight.  How things may feel are not always how things are.  Consider the reasoning of the Scottish sailor Duke Reinheart when he said this after a voyage for his majesty's royal service, "Aye sir, in the midst of this terrible night I seemed to have lost all me wit.  Whilst all that was in me said steer her one way, the stars above said go another.  Seeing it is that me feelings change as quick as the waves crash, I thought I would do better to trust the stars.  They don't change."  Such an assurance it is to have a steady place of reference for the soul.  Again hear the words of a certain pilot who, after years of flying experience, caught in the air an unusual case of vertigo.  "While in the clouds, I was unable to see land.  A certain unfamiliar feeling caught hold of me.  It was this, I could not tell whether or not I was up or down.  How great-full I was for my instrument panel!  I had to look to it to tell me where I was and where I was going. I could not tell, but the instruments guided me to  a safe landing."
     So it may be to you today, Christian, that through fatigue of mind, body, or spirit, you have lost your sense of direction.  Perhaps satan has tempted and tormented you sore, and you feel as if you know not whether you are upside down or not.  Remember this glorious fact, God has left you with a map.  There is an instrument of instruction for safe landing to the child of God, and this instrument is His infallible Word.  Through faith in His unwavering promises we shall conquer feeling that has gone sour.  We have this strong confidence on a cloudy day, that behind dark patches, the sun in all its splendor still shines with a strong and steady purpose.  We have a faith that when night wraps its arms around the heavens, on the morrow the sun will once again rise and vanquish the chill of darkness.  These things are reasonable and logical to assume. We should have confidence in this; but if we are confident in this, how much more sure are the promises of God than the stability of the sun.  For it is the Creator who is greater than the created.  Though your feelings may confuse you, His word will guide you.  Though your thoughts should deceive you, His promises shall keep you.  Have faith in God, for His people walk by faith, not by sight.