Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When is Sick too Sick?


2Timothy 4:20  Erastus abode at Corinth: but Trophimus have I left at Miletum sick

     The question at stake is when is sick too sick to serve the Lord?  Have we not all had days of sickliness where we felt at best inadequate to accomplish much of the chores of daily life?  Where then do we draw the line at when being sick keeps us from Church or not?  Where might we draw the line of were being sick is too sick to serve the Lord in more active forms of service?  Lets look into such a drawing question and see, what is it the Lord might have us do?

     Sickness is a reality we must face in our lives.  It was a reality in Jesus day as well.  The word sick is found 50 times in the New Testament, not counting variations of the word or times bad health was implied.  Sickness varied from fevers, to genetic disorders and even sickness unto death.  Praise the Lord He can help them all!

1. Many will say, I am too sick to attend Sunday.
     Here in is a good and great test.  If it were Monday would you go to work?  If you should feel well enough to pay the tribute of dedication to your employer, then why not your Heavenly Father?  I know many God professing Christians who attend work every weekday, attend to their business on Saturday, and yet are sick every Sunday. This is a form of sickness indeed, but not in the physical, yea rather in the spiritual.
     What if I pass it on to others?  I have found if I mind myself and take consideration of others, any such thing that would not be so bad to keep me hostage to my bed or couch should not be so feared.  We do not desire to pass on transferable sicknesses to others, hindering their quality of life, so if you think you are feverish or have a terrible virus you may need rest, and others rest from you!  I have found however, that many times by the grace of God, I will take my place in the pulpit, and warn others to be weary of me, for I am sick.
     We must also be weary for the elderly and young, sickness may hit them much harder than a man in his youth with great health.  Use good discretion, we wish not to infect the saints! Yet we do not want to use every little whim or excuse to forsake God when we would not be withheld from other activities.  Use good discretion saints of the King, let the Lord guide you!

2. Many may Have various health issues
     And here does it vary greatly.  As our text implies, sometimes a condition may render us helpless.  I have myself migraine headaches.  They very greatly in severity.  Some are light and just bothersome.  Others may be slightly more intense, in these times I must do what I can, and break to recover for a time.  There are some instances when they are so intense I can do nothing more than lay in a dark room with no sound, despising the pain, rendered helpless.  I greatly dislike having this thing put upon my shoulders to bear as my thorn in the flesh, but God knows what I need. And in His divine glory He has ordained that these hinder me, so that I might have patience with the ailments of others.  Even in all this, they must be a gift, because God has chosen to leave them rather than to take them, so that I might be molded in some way more to the image of Christ.  So may be the workings of God in your life!
     We may learn to adapt. 1Timothy 5:23  Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.  Certainly Paul is not suggesting Timothy be a drunkard (a little wine), for this would violate the teaching of scripture in so many places that it is truly indisputable.  Any who would argue other wise is contrary to scripture and glories in their sin.  Rather Paul is suggesting a medical purpose, to cure his "often infirmities".  A terrible ailment this was, lingering about the beloved of Paul.  Even though, Timothy adapted to his severe stomach problems and served the Lord with great endeavour  and zeal.
  
3. We may need Recovery
     In the service of our great King, physical exertion is a reality.  If we are involved in His work, we are a busy, moving people.  Legitimately so, there may be times where we need to let our temple recover.  Then we may at greater strength serve the Lord!  Even in this may we still be able to commune with Saviour. How shall we not meet with such a great and loving God?  He will help us!  And help us He will!  He who gave the most, by leaving Heavens glory, suffering pain and separation of the cross, dying for us, how will He do this and not help us with the least?
  
4. What extent should we slow ourselves?
     Perhaps doctors orders.  We trust God, who works through man (The prayer of the faith shall heal the sick if it be within God's will!).  By all means if needed, find a doctor! for Luke was with Paul, and who need a physician more that Paul?  I encourage a Christian one!  For any man deals better in his trade with the wisdom of God and the guidance of the Holy Scripture!
     I would inject these if I may into our dealings with sickness and recovery.  If we can watch T.V. we can read our Bible.  If we cant move, we cant move (so be it, recover well) but a physical recovery would be much wasted if it made us to stink with sickness of the soul!  If God has graced us with energy, then may we commune with Him!  
     Sickness is a reality. Because sin is a destructive force that started with Adam, and dismembered us from our state of perfection, we will face sickness until we see Christ in Heaven, or in the Air.  Oh saint of God, we and all of nature yearn in travail for the day when we shall be like Christ!